CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Off to the land of 10,000 lakes

Tomorrow I leave for Minneapolis for the annual ACFW conference. My bags are packed. I've printed off one sheets, chapters and verses, organized my notebook. But I still don't feel ready. Not really. Doubts are pestering me. Questions ricochet through my mind like a pong game gone mad.
What if I say something stupid in my editor appointments? Or can't remember my name OR my pitch? Are there really ten thousand lakes in Minnesota? Can I see them from the air? What if my agent (waving to Sandra) goes uh-oh, what was I thinking when I signed this chic?
Big breath.
Stay calm.
It's only a writer's conference.
Yes, but it's the one I've pined for since the closing moments of last year's conference. The one where I will see MANY familiar faces, friends I've met since I started this amazing journey. The place where I will be challenged to write deeper, more thoughtful prose. Take classes to teach me how to edit my work until it is flawless (hear me laughing here???). Participate and assist my fellow scribes by signing up to be a volunteer (What came over me when Mike E. sent that email asking for volunteer reporters to write articles for the fabulous ACFW online magazine?)
Really, I can't wait, but there are still nerves. The what-ifs.
I'm happy that my daughter-in-law, Denice, will be traveling with me. That she will be signing her book in the Mall of America. That we share this crazy addiction called writing. I know we will have a wonderful time . . . once we're there.
I'll be back next week with a full report, some pictures (Did I pack the camera?), and hopefully with my sanity intact.
I think I'll say my prayers and call it a day.


Blessings to all.

No comments: