CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Review and Book Drawing for AN IRISHWOMAN'S TALE

MY REVIEW

An Irishwoman’s Tale by Patti Lacy (see blog entry below) is based on a true story. The fact and fiction are woven together to tell Mary Freeman’s story—a delightful and sometimes haunting tale of her being torn from her mother’s bosom in a dingy Irish cottage and sent to live with a couple in Chicago.

Mary’s lifelong yearnings are to have a best friend and to understand why her mother let her be sent away. Living with a new mother who is distant and cold and a philandering father of prominent social stature who buries himself in the bottle, Mary’s bears her longings alone, unable to trust herself or others. Paul Freeman, a gentle, hardworking man gently guides and encourages her, both in their marriage and in the difficult relationship with her adoptive parents. But it isn’t until Mary opens her heart to Sally, a new acquaintance at the tennis club, that Mary really begins her journey to learning who she is.

The settings are evocative with detail and voice that put the reader in the wilds of Ireland, an American home where love is not expressed, a parochial school classroom, a farm in Indiana, and Mary’s own tortured heart. The prose is achingly lovely, and while the ending is satisfying and complete, there were times I wanted to know more about Sally, the friend, who gives unselfishly of her time and her presence to travel Mary’s road with her. In Sally, Mary does find the friend she’s always wanted and through Sally’s insistence, a trip to Ireland to unravel her past.

Friendship. The unseen grace of God. Deliverance. And hope.

An excellent read that I will be dwelling on for a long time.

WANT TO WIN A COPY OF THIS BOOK?
Leave a comment on this post before noon on Friday, November 7. In the post, tell me your all-time favorite setting for a book and your contact information.

Thanks, and may the luck of the Irish be wi’ ye!

9 comments:

Denice Stewart said...

Sounds like a great read. Thanks for sharing your review!

Erica Vetsch said...

I've been wanting to read this book since I first heard about it.

I love mysteries set in England, and historicals set just about anywhere. Hard to choose a favorite. Looking at my bookshelves, I'd have to say England.

Patti Lacy said...

Thanks for y'all's interest in my book. I also like British mysteries, Erica.

Carla, your blog is lovely. It was a blessing to get to visit.
Patti

Carole said...

I have wanted to read Patti's book since the first review came out. So thanks for the opportunity to win a copy.

It's more about the plot than setting for me, although a particular location can almost guarantee I'll pick a book up - and that would be anywhere on the New England coast, from Maine to Nantucket. And if there's a lighthouse on the cover, I'm there!

cjarvis [at] bellsouth [dot] net

Vickie McDonough said...

I love all things Irish and would love to read Patti's book.

Unknown said...

Carla,

Hard to pick one favorite setting but Regency and Fantasies are amongst faves along with WWII.

Please put my name in the drawing.

Melissa
forest_rose@yahoo.com

Martha A. said...

A favorite setting? i think the Western Expansion would have to be my favorite! WW2 is a second favorite!
martha(at)lclink(dot)com

Gail said...

Please enter me. Love Ireland and would love to win a copy.

Gail
bookwurm70 [at] yahoo [dot] com

Doreen said...

I don't have a favorite setting actually. :) Would love to win a copy of this book!purposedrivenlife4you (at) gmail (dot) com