CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Friday, April 24, 2009

Review of SALTY LIKE BLOOD by Harry Kraus, MD

Isn’t this a great title for a book? If the title and intriguing cover don’t pull you in, then the stellar writing of Harry Kraus, MD will. I met the author at the Minneapolis ACFW conference last year where I learned he was a physician who writes medical thrillers. I confessed that as a nurse, I had not really attempted to write a medical novel, but as we talked I realized bits of my nursing experience and fascination with aberrant personalities have shown up in my stories. I think Dr. Kraus shares some of my fascination. His medical expertise certainly lends flavor and credibility to SALTY LIKE BLOOD.

On to telling you about the book. From the back cover: When does a parent’s love for a child who’s missing cross the line into obsession?

When the daughter of David and Joanne Conners disappears from her grandfather’s waterfront property on the Chesapeake Bay, panic and shock turn quickly to grief and despair. David is convinced his child didn’t drown, but his wife, Joanne, refuses to hold on to false hope. Their search for closure leads them down different paths, threatens their already strained marriage, and brings them both to the brink of ruin. Of course I won’t tell you what happens, but I will tell you that just when you think you’ve figured it out, the story twists in a new direction. Intelligently written in an very readable style, grief, mercy, and forgiveness are explored brilliantly by the author. He takes you to the edge of reason, where only a fine line separates revenge and justice. The Chesapeake Bay setting, the smell of the salty air, and the piles of cooked crabs were extra touches that really connected me to the characters and the story. Delightful book!

Dr. Harry Kraus is a practicing surgeon in Virginia and has served as a missionary surgeon in Kenya. He is the author of two non-fiction books and several novels, including the 2002 bestseller, Could I Have This Dance? Thanks, Dr. Kraus for a great read!

No comments: