CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Saturday, February 13, 2010

CAFE SPECIAL OF THE WEEK - Turkish Delight


The special this week at the Cafe will satisfy the chocolate lovers in the group and was a family favorite when our boys were still at home. As a matter of fact, our son, Scott, named them. I called it Erma's Yummy Brownies since I got the recipe from my good friend Erma. But as Scott ate one square, then another, and another, he said, "This should be called Turkish Delight."

"How did you come up with that?" I asked.

"You know, like in Narnia when Edmund met the White Witch, she gave him a round box tied with a green silk ribbon. Inside was Turkish Delight. It was so good he couldn’t stop eating it. Just like these, they’re so good, I can’t stop.”

So, although this recipe is nothing like the "real" Turkish delight, you'll be tempted to reach for another serving before the first has melted in your mouth. Perfect for the special Valentine in your life.

TURKISH DELIGHT

(Formerly known as Erma’s Yummy Brownies)

1 German Chocolate cake mix (with pudding in the mix)

1/3 cup evaporated milk

1 cup pecans

1 stick margarine, melted

Mix the four ingredients together. Press half into the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan. Bake eight minutes at 350 degrees.

Sprinkle one cup chocolate chips over crust.

Melt together one bag caramels and one-third cup evaporated milk. Pour over chocolate chips.

Dob remaining cake mixture on top and bake 15 – 20 minutes at 350 degrees.

Cut into squares when cooled and serve.

Q4U: What are your Valentine's plans? Do you have a chocolate lover in your family?

3 comments:

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

I am a chocoholic, and my husband hates it. It's caused a bit of strife in our marriage. :) As for Valentine's Day plans... he said if I found a babysitter, he'd find something for us to do. So I need to make some phone calls this morning (yeah, a little last minute, but we had a busy week).

carla stewart said...

Hope you got a sitter and got a night out! And I certainly hope you got a bite of chocolate!

Erica Vetsch said...

I had dinner out with my DH. :) He's so sweet.

I hope you're Valentine's Day was happy.