CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

CAFE SPECIAL OF THE WEEK - Deviled Eggs

Anyone dyeing Easter eggs this year? This was always a favorite and greatly anticipated part of our Easter season each year growing up. I couldn’t wait until I could extend the tradition to my own kids. So when Andy was three and a half and the twins were almost two, I bought a good supply of eggs and put them in the fridge, thinking how I would hard-boil them and introduce the boys to the fine art of egg dyeing.

Before that day came, though, my dear heart, Max, who’s always been an earlier and more cheerful riser than me, came into our bedroom not so chipper . . . or happy. As I recall, his greeting that morning was, “I’ll keep them out of the way while you clean up the mess.”

“Huh? Who? What mess?”

“You need to see for yourself.”
And there they were, my darling twin boys: They’d opened the fridge, pushed a chair over, and when Max arrived they’d already dropped a good two dozen eggs onto the green linoleum. The floor looked like a swirling puke-green ocean with multiple bright yellow eyes peering at me.

Max held them. I mopped the slime.

Thankfully, that episode didn’t become a tradition, and with eggs replaced, hard-boiled, and dyed, we made it through Easter without incident.

This story has little to do with today’s special, but sometimes, moms get to have the pleasure of reminding their children how adorable they were back in the day.

So, how about all those Easter eggs? Why not treat your family to Deviled Eggs?

DEVILED EGGS

1 dozen large eggs, hard-boiled and cooled
¼ cup good mayonnaise (lite okay)
1 – 2 Tbsp. mustard (depending on your taste)
1 – 2 teaspoons vinegar (again depending on taste)
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
Paprika

Split eggs lengthwise. Remove yolks to a small mixing bowl. Mash thoroughly with a fork. Add all ingredients except paprika. Mix well. Spoon into egg cavities. Sprinkle with paprika. Refrigerate until serving time.

I like to place the filled eggs on a layer of paper towels until time to serve. Then remove paper towels and/or transfer to serving dish.

Q4U: Do you still dye eggs at your house? Any other Easter traditions? Any messy kid stories?

Blessings to you this Easter. He is Risen!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOL!! I don't remember this, but certainly can picture the twins doing this.

Patti Lacy said...

No, but I do set out an "easter egg tree," which is spray-painted old branch on which we tied, about a million years ago, little wooden eggs.

Happy Easter, Carla!
Patti

carla stewart said...

Ha, Donna, I'm surprised you don't remember. . . ick! what a mess!

Patti, my sister used to do that, too. Put cute little bunnies and other Easter ornaments on the tree.

Happy Easter to both of you, too.