CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Friday, July 8, 2011

LAZY, HAZY, CRAZY DAYS OF SUMMER

They're here - those lazy, hazy days. I know we're only a month in, but already it feels like these hot, hot days will never end! It's not like when you were a kid and could run through the sprinkler to cool off. And these days, who has a window swamp cooler that you can stand in front of, lift up your shirt, and get a quick cool-off?

I do admit, thought, that the slower days are nice. Here are some of my favorite things about summer:
Snowcones - not the ones in a pointy cup that leak everywhere, but mounds of shaved ice in a cup, best eaten with a spoon. Strawberry is my favorite.

 
Watermelon - ice cold, eaten with a fork and a salt shaker nearby.

Movies - something about a dark, air-conditioned theater with the latest comedy or Pixar release just shouts summer to me.

Fireflies - Smart little bugs who only come out at dusk when the thermometer has dipped below triple digits. Nice to sit on the patio and watch the sparkle in the shrubs and flowers.

Lemonade Pie - One 3 oz. cream cheese. One small can frozen lemonade. Large container cool whip. Graham cracker crust. Blend softened cream cheese and lemonade, adding a bit of the lemonade at a time to make a smoother blend. Add cool whip and pile into graham cracker crust. Freeze. Simple and it makes my mouth happy to bite into the cold, tartness.

Books - There's never enough time to read all that I want, but I've started The Book Thief - not the typical summer read, but I'm sprinkling in a few fun reads as I go. I'll be telling you about one of those delights next time. 

Most favorite thing about summer - Grandkids. We try to have each of the five grandkids who live nearby for a stay, and it usually is in the summer. The two from Texas are coming this afternoon. I'm thinking watermelon, movies, and watching fireflies. Who knows? We might even run through the sprinkler.

Stay cool! And as my favorite coffee guy down at the Quik Trip says, "See ya next time!"

So what are you doing this summer? Vacation? Pool parties? Please share.

No comments: