CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Monday, December 7, 2009

The Christmas Spirit

I’m the first to admit, the Christmas spirit is a little slow in making its appearance around here. I’m consumed with me-isms—my book promotion, my next project, my responsibilities to the writing groups I belong to, my blog posts, my email. It’s no wonder I feel like such a Scrooge. When we see only ourselves and the urgencies around us, it’s harder to gain our focus. And sadly, I’m guilty.

This past weekend, I went to Texas to see my grandson perform in his second Christmas band concert. Last year he was a beginning tuba player. This year, he’s advanced to the symphonic band. Oh, what a difference from last year until this one! The tempo was faster, they were together on the melody, and the blending of the sections was so much mellower. Delightful.

Proud Mimi with her grandsons, the tuba player on the left.

They played four numbers, the first of which was The Christmas Eve March where a portion of the song featured the percussion and tuba players. Lots of bum-bum-bum. They played with skill and authority. Next was African Noel with an exotic beat that reminded me of our brothers and sisters in another part of the world. A toe-tapping Holly, Jolly Christmas followed with the finale of Feliz Navidad, its Latin beat resounding with the very talented percussion section again. And in each of the songs, the tuba notes grounded the instruments, giving the overall performance depth and a framework.

It made me more aware than ever that we are all part of humankind. Different cultures. Different generations. One reason to celebrate. How can we not get in the Christmas spirit when we stop for a moment to ponder and remember that Jesus is the Spirit of Christmas? Jesus who came in fulfillment of the prophecy, to save us all, even a wretch like me.

I had a wonderful time with my grandsons and their parents as well as about twelve hours of playing my favorite Christmas CDs on the trip to and fro. I arrived home weary, but filled anew with the wonder of Christmas, the love of family, and the gift of music in our world.

May all heaven and nature sing!


5 comments:

Myra Johnson said...

A grandson's Christmas concert sounds like a wonderful way to jumpstart the season! I am way, way behind on my preparations, too. Always plan to get ahead of the game every year but never quite manage it.

carla stewart said...

Seems I'm a panster with Christmas prep the same way I'm a writer. Just go w/ the flow.

Loved seeing the kids again, though.

Good luck with your shopping and getting it all done.

Bonnie Way aka the Koala Mom said...

Beautiful. Thanks for the reminder of what Christmas really is about!

Patti Lacy said...

Carla,
Love your perspective!
Lacy 2009 decorations? The manger scene and a wreath!

Lots more time to contemplate the Christ child that way!!

Blessings,
Patti

carla stewart said...

Patti - you make me smile. Yes, the decorations are slim around here this year, but we have the spirit! I'm starting to get really excited about seeing the kids open their gifts and get some of those Mimi hugs.