CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

CAFE SPECIAL OF THE WEEK - Peanut Butter Icebox Pie

Good grief! I don't know where the time has gone. I posted last Thursday and here it is the wee hours of Wednesday and nary a word from me. And I promised a friend of mine I would do better about blogging. Not only that, but it's been ages since I've had a Special of the Week Recipe.

So here's the plan. For the next few weeks or until I run out of recipes, I'll be featuring dishes that the characters in Chasing Lilacs made. Most people have their specialty . . . their go-to recipe to whip up for special occasions or to just extend a hand of friendship.

Today I'm featuring Alice Johnson's Peanut Butter Icebox Pie. Now I know many of you haven't read the book and might say Alice who? Trust me, this woman is a force of nature. She can sugar up her husband to think things "her" way or comfort a neighbor with this delectable dessert. I believe if she were here today, she might make one to celebrate the fact that Chasing Lilacs releases in 15 days! Hope you enjoy the pie as much as Alice likes making it.

Peanut Butter Icebox Pie

3 oz. pkg. cream cheese
1 c. confectioners sugar
1/3 c. crunchy peanut butter
1/2 pint whipping cream, beaten until stiff peaks form
(May substitute 9 oz. Cool Whip)
1 baked pied shell

Blend cream cheese and peanut butter. Add sugar; mix well. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into baked pie crust. Garnish with peanuts and chill.

With the warmer weather, this might be just the thing to top off your evening meal - a slice of cool peanut butter pie on the patio. Don't forget the after-dinner decaf! Verona's my choice this summer.

Your turn: What is your best "go-to" dish? The one people say, "Oh, yes, this is definitely her recipe. No one makes it like _____ (fill in your name).


3 comments:

Erin Frost said...

What a clever tie to your book! And the pie looks delicious!

Julia M. Reffner said...

Mmm...that sounds so good.

I just wanted to comment that your cover is drop-dead gorgeous and that alone makes me want to buy your book. Can't wait until I have more book spending money :)

carla stewart said...

Thanks you, Erin and Julia for coming by. Hope that you will come back and see what else is "cooking" from my book. And Julia, there will be giveaways on several blogs this month for the book so maybe you can get one that way. I'll try to post them here when I know about them.

Thanks, gals!