CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Monday, November 10, 2008

IN HONOR OF OUR VETERANS

My dad is my hero. Someone who's always ready with another story or good advice. Although he didn't go to college, me made certain my sisters and I did. And along the way, he instilled in me a strong work ethic, a love of God, and the value of “keeping my nose clean and to the grindstone.” He also taught me some universal truths like: Don’t pick up a live mouse by the tail and you can “shoot the moon” in a game of pitch with only an ace and a deuce—providing it’s the first hand of a new game. My first published article was about my dad, and I have it on my website if you’d like to read it.

The other thing my dad did for me was serve our country in Korea when I was an infant. He was drafted into the Army in the post WW II era, but he never saw any action. He came home, married my mother, and started a family. When the Korean War broke out, he was called up from the reserves. An inveterate storyteller, who has charmed family and friends for generations, my dad rarely speaks of his time in Korea. I know he witnessed the ravages of war in a way that most of us can only imagine and that perhaps it brought back too many painful memories.

One evening, though, about 2 ½ years ago, my writing friend, Charles (Chuck) Sasser, told me about a book he was writing called God in the Foxholes. He was collecting stories of American veterans from all eras, but was particularly interested in those of WW II and Korean soldiers since so many of them were no longer alive. Long story short, Chuck’s book released this week in time for Veteran’s Day, and it is wonderful

My dad’s story is in there, with a picture of him in his Army uniform. I had heard only snatches of the story and came away with tear-filled eyes and an even greater appreciation for what my dad and so many others have done to make this country a safe place to live, work, and raise my children.

To you, Daddy, thanks. You are loved.

No comments: