CAFE: A gathering place. A place of refreshment.

Thirsty for the latest releases in Christian fiction? Ready for a peek into the world of publishing and writing conferences? Hungry for spiritual and real-life nourishment? Pull up a seat; you're in the right place, and I'm so glad you've stopped by.

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Thirty Days of Thanksgiving - Day Nine

Day 9. The Letter I.

Today I’m thankful for Inspiration.

WRITER’S MYTH: If you just wait for inspiration, it will come, and the words will flow like molten lava onto the page, igniting the world with your brilliance.

Oh, if only that were so. The truth is writing is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration. It’s hard work. And sometimes grueling. As nice as it would be, an author doesn’t have the luxury of waiting for inspiration to strike. The writing chair and keyboard await. Deadlines lurk. Books (and blog posts!) don’t write themselves. There are, however, some things that just by nature are inspiring or which I’ve found helpful to jumpstart my brain. Oddly enough, these ten things are also things which bring me joy and contentment.

Maui, June 2011
1. Books – Reading great novels not only satisfies my need to be drawn into fictitious story worlds, but also challenges me to be a better writer.

2. Music – Jazz, doo-wop, gospel, and golden oldies are regular choices for me. I can’t imagine a world without music.

3. Sunsets – There is nothing quite so breathtaking as a sunset on the prairie, especially the shifting colors as evening slips into night. The ones in Maui are pretty incredible too.

4. The smell of new rain – I never tire of this smell, and coupled with it, the patter of rain on the roof as I settle in with my computer to write plays its own kind of music.

5. Coffee – Oh sweet Sumatra, vivacious Verona, eloquent Espresso, friendly Folgers, capricious Columbian. You make my mornings brighter and my heart happy.

6. Laughter – Grandkid giggles. Belly laughing that makes tears run down my cheeks. The world needs more laughter.

7. Change of scenery – Weekend getaways. Exotic vacations. Visits with friends. All are inspiring in their own way.


8. Reading the inspirational stories of others – I’m a Guideposts reader and happy to be part of a new website that brings inspirational stories every day.

9. Prayer – A day bathed in prayer makes all the difference in my outlook and my writing output.

10. God’s Word – So many scriptures inspire me, but here’s one that helps me keep my focus as I’m writing:  May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14 (NIV)

I’m feeling inspired – how about you? Do you have any special places or rituals that help stir inspiration in you?

1 comment:

Erica Vetsch said...

Hot Earl Grey tea inspires me. It's become such a part of my winter writing routine, it's hard to write without it. :)